Thursday, January 7, 2010

Shabby Chic Decor. Gold and Silver for the win!

It took me awhile, but I am thrilled with they way this worked! This is my nightstand, and it has been a few months in the making!

First of all, during the remodel, I had the bedroom painted Charleston Grey (Kwal) with a couple of shades lighter on the ceiling trim. I left the ceiling, baseboards, doors and other trim white.

I wanted a grey/silver and gold look in the bedroom, since I have gold and silver bedding that was only a year old. I got that at Tuesday morning when I was remodeling my Mapleton home. So, I needed a new nightstand. I found this nightstand (I'll take a picture of DH's tomorrow) at Tuesday Morning in St. George. It was regularly $400, and they had it at $199. SOLD! I stashed it in the garage at the rental until we got moved into our new home.

I found the picture frame at TJ Maxx for about $5. Our wedding picture will go in it (yea, another project...find the pictures and have one made the right size)
.
The very cool gold flower I just found at one of the antique malls in Orange, CA. We had been in CA for Christmas and New Year's with my family. I took a day to go antique shopping. Actually, I took more than one day....but I took an entire day down in Orange. One of the booths had very cool crafted items in the Paris chic genre of decor. There were 3 of these gold flowers, pieces from an old tole lamp or wall decor perhaps. I showed restraint, and bought just one. Perfect for my nightstand, don't you think?


I just love it...I think it adds to the shabby chicness of it all!

As for the lamp, I've been looking for lamps for 4 months now. I just couldn't commit to one. I'd shop, pick some out, then put them back. I can't begin to tell you how many lamps I actually almost purchased. Anyway, when we returned from CA, I had to take DS #4 to Target. We had seen an ottoman that he needed for his room. A place to sit and it had storage for all of his guitar/amp cables. I happened to look in the lamp aisle and whammo! There was the perfect lamp base. There was only one. Then I decided that I liked another one...same height. Then I started to examine the shades. Hit the jackpot! Found 2 shades that were fabulous, perfect for the decor and the are the same! Snatched those babies up and brought them home! I am very pleased with the results.
Any thoughts? Comments? Are you blogging about your decorating and want to share what you've done? Post a comment, and share the link to your post. I'd love to hear what you think!

Don't forget, you can click on the pictures to make them bigger...just saying! I'll post more pictures of the bedroom in the coming days.

2 comments:

Kristy Lou said...

I LOVE that lampshade. It's way cute! I still have to come over and see all the finished projects. Noah has been sick on and off for three weeks now (currently we are dealing with the flu) so that puts a damper on any of my already little free time. Once I get that child well, I will have to stop by and see everything in person.

CLD said...

That looks great. Another thing that goes well with shabby chic design is Vintage Art . You can find a piece to fit pretty much anything you have in mind.